Cancun is very easy to navigate. To the South is the airport, to the North is the city and in between on the stretch of land between the sea and the Nichupte lagoon are all the hotels, beaches and bars, referred to as the hotel zone or Zona Hotelera. Downtown is where most residents live and it stretches in on the mainland behind the lagoon.
- Interactive Aquarium, Right in the middle of the hotel zone, this small but modern aquarium lets you get up close and personal with aquatic life. You can pet rays, nurse sharks, touch starfish, etc. There is also a chance to swim with dolphins in a large pool.
- Water and sand, Cancun is possibly best known for its beautiful turquoise waters and powdery white beaches.
- Isla Contoy, is about 30km (19 mi) north of Isla Mujeres and apart from its natural beauty it is considered to be the most important nesting place for sea birds in the Mexican Caribbean with more than 150 different species.
There are several activities you can do in Cancun and the rest of the Riviera Maya. You can either buy them from the provider or through an agency. Most of the agencies offer extra value at the same price. Here are some online travel agencies located in Cancun where you can find tours, things to do and excursion:
Here is a list of the most popular activities in Cancun:
Ocean and beaches, For the more advanced swimmers, the edge of the open ocean can make for a challenging and fun swimming experience. For less advanced swimmers, or those with little ones, pick a resort facing Isla Mujeres for a gentle and relaxing aquatic experience. Be aware that the island becomes extremely hot during day and there are few, if any opportunities to cool off. The sand found here is ground up coral and doesn’t get hot like you might expect. The beaches are absolutely gorgeous and the water is crystal clear and warm. Spending the day on the beaches of Cancun is not only an opportunity to relax, but to shop as well. Many of the native people of Cancun make a living by selling different items to the tourists on the beach. There are a variety of items to be purchased from these vendors, items such as sarongs, jewellery, sea shells and more. However, as in the markets, you have to be willing to bargain to get the right prices.
Museo Maya de Cancun, It’s the largest structure built by the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH). After 6 years in the making they opened the doors in November 2012. The building itself is a modern piece of architecture and really quite nice to walk around in. There is a nice view of the surrounding areas from the top level. The building is air-conditioned.
Parque de las Palapas, This square in downtown is considered a classic place to meet for most of the residents, thus it is the real heart of the city of Cancun. There is a main stage perfectly visible where the shows are easily enjoyed. The shadows cast by the new palm trees are sweet relief from the striking sun and in the evenings the well illuminated square has a wonderfully romantic air. An open-air food court with 14 stands is located at the northern extreme of the park, and a few wooden carts with palapas covering them are distributed throughout, used by the artisans to sell their products.
MUSA Museo Subacuatico de Arte, In 2009 this monumental underwater contemporary museum of art was formed in the waters surrounding Cancun, Isla Mujeres and Punta Nizuc. The Museum aims to demonstrate the interaction between art and environmental science and form part of a complex reef structure for marine life to colonize and inhabit whilst increasing biomass on a grand scale. All of the sculptures are fixed to the seabed and made from specialized materials used to promote coral life. The total installations occupy an area of over 420 square metres of barren substrate and weighing in at over 200 tonnes.
Football, New in Cancun with the First Division team “Potros de Hierro (Iron Colts) of Cancun”. The Atlante team, now based in Cancun, has a brand new stadium downtown.
Markets, Bring your haggling skills and get ready for a vast shopping experience in any of the city markets. Great buys can be found, so stick to your price resolve.
Cooking, The Little Mexican Cooking School, teaches tourists, in one day fun and educational classes, authentic Mexican cooking techniques and regional cuisine The Little Mexican Cooking School
- Scuba diving school. Diving lessons and professional certified dive instructors in the best dive spots in Cancun, Cenote dives, Cozumel dives. Contact information:
- Scuba Divig Cancun, ☎+52 998 228 5335. Daily 08:00-16:00.
- Xcapes Tours. Offers snorkeling tours in sea and cenotes, plus other activities. They have some package tours, but are very willing to create custom tours for small or large groups.
- The Lobster Dinner Cruise. Take a trip out on the calm lagoon on a beautiful boat with friends you have not met yet. The staff allow you to take part in the fun or settle back and watch the sunset. Steak and lobster is cooked on the boat and is extra tasty when eaten out on the high seas.
- Jeep Adventures. Experience some of the most beautiful parts of Cancun in a self drive jeep safari. Tour prices usually include an experienced guide, and the chance to swim or snorkel in underground caves, explore Mayan ruins and visit a jungle reserve.
- Xcaret. Xcaret is an Eco-archaeological Park located about 76km (46 mi) south of Cancun and less than 7km (4 mi) south of Playa del Carmen, in the Riviera Maya. Here you can admire tropical flora and fauna typical of the region as well as different expressions of the Mayan culture. In its facilities you can find an archaeological site, snorkeling in underground rivers, beach, butterfly pavilion, orchid greenhouse, regional fauna breeding farm, Mayan village, jaguar island, among others. For additional cost visitors can swim with dolphins; enjoy the Temascal and Spa services. At night you can admire the unique night show “Xcaret México Espectacular” which features a variety of performances from ancient Mayan culture to traditional Mexican music and dances.
Rent a yacht
- Cancun Yachts Club Tours by Luxury yachts in Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Contoy, Holbox, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Activities: Snorkeling, Diving, fishing, Cruising, Weddings. Partys.Contact information:* yates de lujo en cancun (Yates de Lujo en Cancun), Calle Maui 3 Mz 11 L2 SM 216 Fracc. Las Islas 2, ☎ 044-998-577-3317. Luxury yachts for rent, fishing yachts, luxury cruisers and megayachts available
- Cancun Yachts Club, boulevardo kukulkan km. 5.8 (zona hotelera), ☎998 8495317. Yacht rentals in Cancun. exclusives luxury yachts for rentals tours in all the cancun areas , snorkeling, diving, swimming the most save water activities in yacht.
- Ziplines The most famous place for adventurous tours including ziplines, ATV’s, Cenote swim and more.
Swim with sharks
- ‘Whale Shark’ From June to September you may be able to swim with these sea giants. Many companies offer snorkelling tours with them.
Cancun and the surrounding area offers amazing possibilities to get out of the touristy areas and get close to nature. You find caves, underwater rivers, pristine jungle, botanical garden, national parks all close to the city. You also have world class diving, but if you are not certified you can also snorkel on the second largest barrier reef in the world, or with Whale Sharks, Manta Rays, Sea Turtles or with huge groups of Sailfish. The Yucatan peninsula is packed with natural wonders, you just need to know where to look.
Many companies are offering one day trips but you need to be aware, the easier a tour looks, the less nature oriented it is. In many cases the best option is to rent a car and visit the parks and places on your own (or with a local guide). Some activities, like the Whale Sharks or Sailfish can be organized only through a licensed operator. Look for the specialized Eco-Tour operators there are a few but still not too many in Cancun.
With golf courses in Cancun, visitors can still have a great vacation and enjoy the game. Surrounded by the beautiful Mexican landscape these courses are home of renowned championships.
- The Moon Spa and Golf Club. Is home to the only Jack Nicklaus Signature Cancun golf course. Its dynamic layout requires golfers to navigate through native vegetation as well as numerous wetlands and strategically placed bunkers.
- Riviera Cancun Golf and Spa. The golf course at Riviera Cancun Golf & Resorts features strategic bunkering, immaculate greens, stunning layout of fairways, as well as wooden bridges. An spectacular Mexican-Contemporary Club House allows golfers to relax and enjoy the tranquillity of the natural reserve that surrounds the course, including the dunes, lakes, mangroves and Tasiste native palm trees, which are some of the elements that make this Golf course a visual stunner.
When shopping in Cancun, you can either go into downtown or the hotel zone. Downtown is much cheaper.
- Market 28. This is the local market in downtown Cancun. Great shopping for souvenirs. It also has some great Mexican outdoor restaurants. Very cheap and good shopping. Don’t forget to bargain.
- Market 23. This is more of a ‘locals’ market. Doesn’t have the same range as Market 28, but is worth a visit.
- La Isla Mall, KM12.5 hotel zone, ☎998 8835025. Beautiful mall in the hotel zone. Offers many boutiques and designer stores plus a wide range of restaurants and bars. mid to high.
- Lapis Jewelry Factory, Blv. Kukulkan km 11.5 local 100 Int. Plaza Flamingo, Zona Hotelera, ☎+52 998 110-8787 (email@example.com). You are likely to be offered a coupon for free jewelry at this store. Their website also offers a free gift for individuals who book a shuttle through their website. However, if you do not have any evidence of this, the offer will not be honored. A free shuttle service is offered to take you to the store from your hotel. However, the prices in the store are exorbitant (even at the “discounted” rates), and much of the same jewelry is sold by street vendors and hotel gift shops, as well as online. Be sure to investigate other vendors first to get an idea of how much you should pay. One rule of thumb is to buy at 20-30% of the quoted price. For example, if a Mayan calendar pendant is offered to you at the discounted rate of MXN75, it’s actually probably worth about MXN20. The salespeople will insist that it’s worth much more, but stand your ground. If a salesperson agrees to your offer too quickly, you’re probably paying too much. In addition, a number of people have reported difficulty obtaining refunds.
- Plaza Las Americas, Av. Tulum 260. Plaza Las Americas is one of the biggest shopping center in Cancun mid to high.
Cancun is one of the premier spa destinations in the world with a choice of more than thirty Cancun Spa Resorts that promise to transport your mind, body and spirit to a nirvana of pure bliss. Spas in Cancun offer treatments combining native, ancient mayan healing rituals, modern stress-reducing techniques.
Try a traditional Temazcal steam bath or a full-body massage on the beach overlooking the turquoise blue waters. Indulge in a thalassotherapy treatment and relax as expert therapists provide natural body wraps made with local plants and flowers.
There are many different yoga styles being taught and practiced today. And many of those options are in Cancun to practice yoga.