San Juan de Gaztelugatxe

On the road to Bakio is the lighthouse of Matxitxako, on the cape which has the same name. Further on, is the isle called Akatz, next to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is a peninsula linked by a bridge. In the 14th century there was a castle on the top of the isle. Nowadays, there is the hermitage of Saint Juan.

On the 24 June, people use to celebrate a procession to the hermitage from Bermeo. A lot of people use to come to participate. On 29 August, there is a mass to celebrate the day of Saint Juan. On 31 December, there used to be another mass to say goodbye to the year.

San Juan de Gaztelugatxe is the most attractive tourist place in the Basque Country; thousands of visitors visit it every year.

The isle and its environment are considered protected area.

The Akatz Isle

This isle is next to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. Its small with a few vegetation and an important population of birds.

Matxitxako Cape

In this cape, there is the lighthouse called Matxitxako. There is an old lighthouse, too, which is out of order; the new one is operating. This place offers good views of the coast and cetaceans can be seen.

The Izaro isle

This isle is in front of the Urdaibai’s Reserve. On the top of the isle there was an hermitage until the 13th century. Then, the Magdalena’s hermitage was built. Nowadays, its a protected reserve included in the Urdaibai’s Reserve where many birds nest.

The Old Town

In the old town there are a lot of houses painted with different colours and narrow streets with some squares, too.

Aritzatxu Beach

Aritzatxu its a small beach which is an attractive place to sunbathe and swim in its clear water during the summer. It has services like rescue team, beach police, toilets, and a bar.

Ercilla Tower (Fisherman’s Museum)

Ercilla was one of the 30 towers that defended Bermeo in the Middle Ages and the only tower that remains. It is situated strategically on the old port and was built to ends of the XV century. It is a house-tower, the home of the Ercilla’s family. Some of them were famous, for example Fortún García of Ercilla and Alonso Ercilla and Zúñiga, author of The Araucana. During centuries the tower was used for different activities. Forgetting its committed military, it served like house of fishermen and warehouses of fish. In 1948 the facade was reformed, finding Gothic arches and appointing it the Fisherman’s Museum. In 1984 and 1985 more reforms were done.

The Casine (club)

The Casine built by Severino Atxukarro in 1894. It fell in 1983 to consequence of some floods. It was built again and its considered inside the eclepticisme. It is in the Lamera Park. The zones of the building are used for diverse activities. One hand finds the room of exhibitions and conferences “Nestor Basterretxea” and there is a restaurant that receives the central space of the building. In the other side there is an Irish pub and a café.

Town Hall

It is in the square Sabino Arana Goiri and it was built in 1732. In his facade are two solar clocks. It is considered an Artistic Historical Monument.

Kikunbera house

The Kikunbera house can be classed as the “Basque Rationalism”. It is a building whose structure looks like a ship; it’s been an Artistic Historical Monument since 1995.


Its a modernist building which was built by Pedro Ispizua.


Powered by


Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on StumbleUpon